Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Boat Repair and House Repair

Come in, the water has just boiled, and this afternoon's tea is Ceylon Black with a bit of mango flavoring. I also have Tricuits(TM) and Laughing Cow(TM) cheese, so help yourself.

The washer is running because I got wet in the river today, helping a friend get his sailboat onto a trailer. The drive train on his outboard had seized up, so he sailed it to the boat ramp, where a mechanic removed the old drive train and installed a new one. The afternoon was pleasant enough - the temperature hovering in the mid-90s, but low enough humidity that a breeze and shade kept us cool.

You will notice that most of the floor has been removed from the bathroom. Some friends helped me tear out the old tongue-and-groove flooring, because it had some rotten spots in it. The subflooring is good, and some friends will help me put down a new floor later this week. That will involve laying down plywood, backer board, and ceramic tile. Have you ever tried to match 50 year old almond ceramic tile with what's available today? On my budget there isn't much choice but to buy off-the-shelf and hope no one notices the shade difference. I'm putting down a black border along the edges, so maybe that will help.

The paint was peeling off the ceiling, and once I started scraping, it came off in sheets. Some of the wall paint is like that, too. The local home supplies store sold me something called "Gripper" that goes on as a primer, and some paint to go over that.

I may come up with a theological question to ponder later, but I'm sapped just now. What's up with you?

T&T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Yates!

ship captain said...

You were in the shade of the Bimini. The rest of us were standing in the sun and failed to notice the gentle breeze or drop in humidity!